Wednesday, October 30, 2013

lizards on the levee


This is an update to my original title and description.  One savvy reader caught and commented that these are not salamanders but in fact lizards.  How I went wrong is described in my response to her (so take a look). I'm blaming this all on François I (a local favorite king from the 16th century) !

I spied this little salamander along the levee in Amboise.  Well there was a double surprise.  First, he didn't seem to mind that I was taking his portrait.  Usually, these guys are so skittish that they run away at the first sign of a photographer closing in.  The second surprise: he wasn't the only one.  See the little panorama below.  I wasn't sure if they were trying to spell out a message to me.  In any case, what a treat.  Of course you can click on either image to a larger view (then maximize your browser).




4 comments:

  1. Sorry Stuart -- not salamanders but European Wall Lizards Podarcis muralis. If you ever do see a salamander I will be pea green with envy. They are rarely seen and not very common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well again, you are so right on this. I did not do my homework and jumped to the conclusion that they are salamanders. So here's where I went wrong. The personal emblem of François I is called a salamander in all of the online references I can find (as well as a tourist book I have). But by what I see of these emblems, they are in fact lizards as you pointed out (they have scales, long toes, etc.). Lastly (and weakly), there is restaurant on the Ile d'Or in Amboise named le Salamandre. Anyway, I'll be on the lookout for that real salamanders but I'll be looking in the local creeks!

      Delete
  2. they look similar to lizards i'd catch when i was little! i must have been fast! we have salamanders here but they are brightly colored and look rubbery even. the first one i saw i wasn't sure if it was real or a toy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well as I responded on an earlier comment, and as I amended the post, you are completely correct that these guys are lizards. I used to catch salamanders in my local creek in Tennessee and these guys are different. Take a look at my feeble explanation in the previous comment.

      Delete